Thursday, June 13, 2013

Union fall to D.C. United in U.S. Open Cup match

Boyds, Md. – The Philadelphia Union were knocked out of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Wednesday evening as the club fell to D.C. United, 3-1 in a fourth-round matchup played at the Maryland SoccerPlex in Boyds, Md.

“Really disappointed in our performance tonight, in particular the way we started that game,” said Hackworth. “It was unacceptable on a lot of levels. I give full credit to D.C., they were good tonight and we knew they were going to bring it. At the same time, I certainly don’t think we brought our best.”

United pounced first in the 24th minute when Dwayne De Rosario scored his first of three on the night, hitting a driven curler past the outstretched arms of Zac MacMath. De Rosario then scored his second in the 75th, when he finished off a nifty ball in from forward Lionard Pajoy, but Union goal scoring guru Jack McInerney brought one back just a minute later, finishing a low driven ball into the box from Don Anding to make the score, 2-1.

A big highlight for Philadelphia was the play of Anding who entered as a left midfielder in the 67th minute, which shifted fellow second half substitute Leo Fernandes into center midfield. Anding had nice touches on the ball and sent a few crosses into the box that created dangerous chances.

“He certainly came on and had some great touches to help Jack get the goal,” Hackworth said of Anding. “He’s got great pace and athleticism, he just needs more time to develop.”

But in the 85th minute, De Rosario stifled all hope as a Union defensive lapse at the edge of the final third saw the future MLS Hall of Famer take a shot from close to midfield that rolled in behind Union goalkeeper MacMath, who was off his line.

“We were just caught sleeping,” said Union forward Sebastien Le Toux postgame. “We came out and there was no intensity and we were running out of position and not defending [as a team] and it’s hard to play like that. We went after the score [in the second half]…but a lack of concentration didn’t help. We know we have to be better; no one is happy with this result, especially not me.”

What the Union also lost was a chance to host USOC quarterfinal play at PPL Park on June 26. Instead, it will be United who get a chance to move onto the semifinal round when it returns to the Maryland SoccerPlex to host New England who were 4-2 winners over New York Wednesday night.

The Union will look to return to winning ways when they travel to play USL-PRO affiliate Harrisburg on June 18. Then it’s a return to MLS action on June 23 against the New York Red Bulls.

D.C. United 3, Philadelphia Union 1
Wednesday, June 12; 7:00 p.m. ET
Maryland SoccerPlex, Boyds, Md.

D.C.: De Rosario 25’
D.C.: De Rosario 75’
PHI: McInerney 76’
D.C.: De Rosario 85’

PHI: Okugo 46’ (caution)
PHI: Fernandes 56’ (caution)

MacMath, Williams, Okugo, Parke, Gaddis, Carroll, Farfan (Anding 73’), Daniel (Fernandes 45’), Le Toux, McInerney, Casey (Hoppenot 65’)

Willis, Kemp, Woolard, White (Pajoy 67’), Riley (McDonald 62’), Pontius (Nyassi 45’), Thorrington, Kitchen, DeLeon, Townsend, De Rosario

No comments: