Friday, June 24, 2011

Sixers snare Vucevic, Allen

By John McMullen

NEWARK, NJ (The Phanatic Magazine) - Trade rumors swirling around swingman ANdre Iguodala proved to be just that as the Sixers stayed put and selected center Nikola Vucevic with the 16th overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft. Philadelphia also secured former Temple forward Lavoy Allen with the 50th overall selection.

The 7-foot Vucevic, an early entry candidate following his junior season at USC,  veraged 17.1 points, 10.3 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.4 blocks for the Trojans last season while shooting 50.5 percent from the floor, 75.5 percent from the line and 34.9 percent from 3-point range.  He was named All-Pac-10 First Team and FOXSports.com All-America Fourth Team and was the Pac-10’s Most Improved Player in 2009-10.

"I'm just looking forward to get in the process and start practicing with the team and working out and get to know my teammates, and then whatever happens, happens," Vucevic said.  "I'm not thinking about starting or anything.  I just want to get my team and work as hard as I can and get some playing time. "

This past season, Vucevic ranked first in the Pac-10 in rebounding, third in points and fourth in blocks.  He posted 22 double-doubles in 34 games played, which was the fifth-most in the country.  Vucevic was the first Trojan to average a double-double since 1994-95 and was the first player in school history to capture the Pac-10 rebounding title in consecutive seasons (2009-10 and 2010-11).


"[The Sixers are] one of my favorite teams I wanted to get picked by." the big man added.  "I played against Jrue Holiday when he was at UCLA, so I know him a little bit and I got to meet a couple of players when I went there to work out.  I think they are a great fit for me and I think I will be able to fit in there really well and I'm really looking forward to it. "

The 20-year-old was born in Switzerland and raised in Belgium where his father, Borislav, was playing professional basketball.  His father played professionally for 24 years and was a member of the Yugoslavian national team.  Nikola’s mother was also a professional basketball player in Bosnia.  Vucevic’s family moved to Montenegro when Nikola was a teenager and he represented Montenegro at the 2009 U-20 European Championship.  Prior to enrolling at USC, Nikola attended a year of prep school in California.


Vucevic has a massive 7-foot-5 wingspan but isn't very athletic and his game is very similar to Spencer Hawes with a more impressive body.

Allen (6-foot-9, 225) averaged 11.5 points, 8.6 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.8 blocks during his senior season for the Owls last year while shooting 48.0 percent from the floor and 69.7 percent from the line.  He was named first team All-Atlantic 10 for the second straight season and to the conference’s all-defensive team for the third time.

 “I am excited to be selected and it is even more special that it is by the 76ers, where my family and friends are able to support me,” said Allen. “I can't wait to get started with my professional career.”

The 22-year-old leaves Temple as the school’s all-time leading rebounder (1,147) and ranks third in blocks (213).  As a junior, Allen became the first Temple player to average a double-double since Ollie Johnson in 1970-71.  Allen was born in Morrisville, Pa. and attended Pennsbury High School.

 “I am very happy for him,” said Temple head coach Fran Dunphy.  “He accomplished so much as a college basketball player. It is a great reward to be drafted and to go to the Sixers is icing on the cake.

No comments: