Monday, June 27, 2011

Media talks with Flyers first round pick Sean Couturier

Q: On the chances of playing in the NHL next year

For sure this summer I’ve got to work hard.  My main goal is to make the NHL next year.  Once I get to camp I’ll be prepared.  It’s up to the GM and staff to decide.  I can’t really control that.

Q: Had the Flyers been in touch with you?

“Yeah, actually I met them for the first time last night.  It was a pretty good meeting.  They seemed to have a lot of interest, but anything can happen in the draft.  But now that the draft is over, I’m  really glad to be a part of the Philadelphia Flyers.

 Q: Who did you meet with?

“Pretty much the whole staff was there.”

Q: Did you have a team in mind?

“No, not really.  I didn’t really have any favorite team or anything. I didn’t really know what to expect.  So just going to Philadelphia, I’m really happy.”

Q: Who did you root for growing up?

“I grew up following the Montreal Canadiens, but I wasn’t really a die-hard fan or anything.”

Q: I understand your father played hockey?

“Yeah.  He played about 15 years of pro hockey, but mostly in the minors.  Being around him was good for me.”

Q: What position did your dad play?

He was a left wing and centerman.

Q: So you got all the talent in the family?

“I don’t know… I was drafted before him so I was just bugging him about that.”

Q: I heard that you might have been a number one pick overall but you had some issue with fitness.  Is that true, you had some mono?

“Yeah.  I had mono at the end of last summer.  It maybe slowed me down a bit through the season.  But now, wherever I was drafted, I was going to be happy, and Philadelphia is a great place.”

Q: They couldn’t stop comparing you on TSN to Jordan Staal.  Do you think that’s a fair comparison?

"Yeah.  It’s a pretty good honor to be compared to him, but for sure, we’re similar in some ways.”

 Q: Is there an area of your game you feel you need to improve?

 "Well, especially making the most of my skating, my first two steps.  I’ve been working on it since I was young, and there’s still a lot of improvement left to do.  But I’m working on it, and overall, that’s about it.

Q: The Flyers recently traded for Brayden Schenn.  Is there a relationship between the two of you?

“We played together at World Juniors.  It was a good experience just being around him and everything.  But outside of that, we’d never met before.”

Q: What is your height and weight?

“About 6-3½, about 200 pounds.”

Q: What is it about the NHL game you think you would be best at?

“Probably my hockey sense, my two-way game is pretty solid.  I’m pretty reliable defensively, and offensively I’m pretty good at protecting and controlling the puck.”

Q: What was your opinion of what happened with the Flyers yesterday?

“I was actually pretty surprised, didn’t really expect it.  After thinking about it, I knew I could be drafted there, and now that I’m drafted that’s pretty special.”

Q:  Do you think there is more room for you now than there was yesterday?

“Yeah, maybe.  I haven’t really thought about it.  It’s going to be up to me with my work ethic, keep working hard through the summer, and once I get to camp it’s going to be up to me to prove myself.”

No comments: