Thursday, February 28, 2008

Eagles sign Reed; tender Hanson

By John McMullen

Philadelphia, PA (The Phanatic Magazine) - The Philadelphia Eagles agreed to terms on a one-year contract with safety J.R. Reed and tendered a one-year contract to restricted free agent CB Joselio Hanson on the eve of free agency Thursday.

Reed, who was scheduled to become a restricted free agent at midnight, was originally a fourth-round draft pick of the Eagles in 2004. He re-signed with Philadelphia in 2007 and played in 15 games (three starts) as a reserve safety and kickoff returner, registering 23 tackles, including a career-high 11 against Seattle on December 2. Reed also returned 31 kickoffs, averaging 22.6 yards per return in 2007.

"It's good to get it done before the deadline," Reed said. "It means a lot, to have the Eagles standing behind me, and to be where I'm comfortable. I still have to make it through training camp."

Asked why he signed a one-year deal instead of accepting a tender, Reed was pragmatic.

"I think it could help me if it comes down to the wire, if they need to cut down ... (and) I'll be an unresticted free agent next year," Reed said. "If it becomes a numbers game again, I won't be touching the cap at all. That shouldn't have to be an issue.

"I've been around the block a couple of times, I've been with four different teams. I didn't really want to be anywhere else. I'll take a little bit less money to stay on a team where I like the family atmosphere, and the coach is great."

The 26-year-old Hanson joined the Eagles in 2006, after originally signing with the San Francisco 49ers as a rookie free agent in 2003. He played in all 16 games (four starts) in 2007, serving primarily as the team’s nickel cornerback and registered a career-high 45 tackles, adding 1 sack and 1 fumble recovery.

If another club signs Hanson to an offer sheet, the Eagles have seven days to match that offer. If they choose not to match, the Eagles will receive a second round draft choice as compensation.

No comments: