Sunday, July 30, 2006

Bravo Pat (Gillick)...


By Jared Trexler

I am a big Pat Gillick supporter. Or at least I used to be.

I hope Brian Cashman took him out to dinner and a movie before violating him in such a way.

Taking advantage of Gillick's old age. Or maybe I should just say it like it is...

If the reported deal by ESPN.com is true then Gillick wasn't violated.

He was bent over a chair.

Seriously, a left-handed hitting outfielder with a .413 OBP, on pace to knock in 108 runs while scoring over 100 and stealing 28 bases plus one of the top pitchers on the trade market in return for a bust 2005 first-round draft pick (C.J. Henry), a 27-year-old relief pitcher (Matt Smith) and some other scrub that Cashman was kind enough to throw our way.

I hate the Yankees.

Truthfully, I may hate Phillies fans even more. They probably think this is great. We finally got rid of Abreu. Now we have tons of salary to go out and get a starter!

Who?

Barry Zito? The west-coast kid wouldn't step foot in Philly. Jason Schmidt? Not a chance. Mike Mussina? Maybe, but I'd rather have Abreu then the aging right-handed pitcher.

The problem is that Phillies fans wouldn't.

I have a right to be angry at this trade. I valued Abreu's skill and presence in the Phillies locker room.

All of those that hated Abreu should just keep their mouths shut.

You never know. C.J. Henry could be just One More Reason to Believe.

[Get Copyright Permissions]
Click here for copyright permissions!

Copyright 2006 The Phanatic

No comments: