Tuesday, July 04, 2006

You Need a Team



By John McMullen

It's been pointed out by more than a few readers of this blog that I am a little negative. Heck, it's even been pointed out by my colleagues...

Well, I plead guilty as charged...I am certainly not going to deny it. But, I am happy at least one reader came to my defense and the rest of you will have to admit -- it's a pretty simple defense...

Just what am I supposed to be positive about? I cover sports in this town.

Believe me, in my real life, I could care less about the mess that is Philadelphia sports. When you have been in this industry as long as I have -- you have ceased to care about who wins and who loses.

I root for good storylines and good games, not teams. And I am lucky in that regard...I work with a number of younger writers who still live and die with their "favorite" teams.

I don't believe in curses. I don't believe in karma and I certainly don't believe in quick fixes. What I do believe in is this -- solid management wins championships.

We just don't have that in Philadelphia and that's where I take umbrage with the "Bizarro Phillies," a very interesting and entertaining look at a season gone awry.

Just like the graphic novel Michael Rushton based his piece on, his take is pure fantasy. Any of you who think the Phillies would be riding high like the Tigers if Jim Leyland was here should check yourself in for immediate therapy...And block off a couple of months...you are gonna need them.

Because, as Jerry Seinfeld would say, you don't need the once a week stuff for $70-80 bucks. You need a team -- working around the clock -- talking about you-- having meetings about you.

If Leyland were in Philadelphia, he would still have to deal with Dave Montgomery, the "Gang of Eight" and "Stand Pat" just like poor ole' Charlie Manuel.

Perhaps more importantly, he wouldn't have inherited a pitching staff stocked with Justin Verlander, Nate Robertson, Mike Maroth, Jeremy Bonderman and Joel Zumaya. Any of you Leyland fans think those names might have a little to do with why the Tigers are a tad more difficult to handle than the Phils?

That's not to say Leyland isn't a better manager than Manuel -- He is.

But, if Jimmy was trotting out the likes of Scott Mathieson, Gavin Floyd, Adam Bernero and Eude Brito -- you can bet he wouldn't look like the second coming of Miller Huggins.

He would look like a decent manager with bad ownership and an overrated general manager.

Some things never change -- even in the "Bizarro World."

-You can reach John McMullen at jmcmullen1@comcast.net or john@phillysportsline.com

[Get Copyright Permissions]
Click here for copyright permissions!

Copyright 2006 The Phanatic

No comments: