Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Schenn OK because he says so, Wilson faces hearing

The Philadelphia Flyers are not treating Brayden Schenn with kid gloves.

That's because Schenn declared himself near 100 percent after absorbing a hit that would leave many dazed and confused. Paul Holmgren stated on Wednesday afternoon that he was not subject to concussion protocol in the wake of the collision, whose video is below.

"I feel I got really lucky," Schenn said. "I don't think I have ever gone head-first into the boards without even getting my arms up or anything like that. I don't remember much of the play. All I remember was how hard the top of my head actually hit the board. And I don't remember trying to get up or anything bad. But the good thing is I don't have a headache or any symptoms today, so that's a positive sign."

Never mind that the onset of concussion symptoms can manifest as late as 72 hours after contact, the Flyers are an old-school organization with old-school thinking, and if one of their players deems himself fit enough, who is anyone with a degree or expertise to interfere?

With 4:43 remaining in the second period of an eventual 5-2 Flyers win against Washington on Tuesday night, Caps forward Tom Wilson issued an illegal check to the back of Schenn, sending Schenn crashing to the boards and out of the contest.

Schenn was later told to have an "upper-body injury" which may result in a concussion, and his status for Thursday night's home game against the Columbus Blue Jackets seems to no longer be in doubt.






The National Hockey League's office of Player Safety has been notified of the incident and Wilson will face a hearing (not in person) tomorrow afternoon.

Wilson, the 16th overall selection in the 2012 draft, made his pro debut in three playoff games last season. He has posted one goal and four points in 34 games this year.

If supplemental discipline is necessary, look for the 19-year-old Toronto native to be hit with a penalty near the low end of the spectrum as a first-time offender.

Last night, I called for something in the 3-to-5 game range, dependent upon Schenn's condition and prognosis.

No comments: