Friday, February 16, 2007

View from friendly territory

By Michael Rushton

So, I was faced with the unbearable task of catching the Flyers game last night against Toronto. Don't feel too bad for me, though. I had Club Box Seats.

Here are some random thoughts from the game.

- No matter how many times I go to the Wachovia Center, one of the highlights is always Lauren Hart. Since the Flyers were playing Toronto, we were blessed with a double-dose of Hart as she also belted out "O Canada." Speaking of which, do we really need to boo another country's national anthem. This isn't South Park people.

- Went to get a dog and brew, only to have my little brother tell me Peter Forsberg was a scratch upon return. Time to hit the phones...

- One drawback when attending live sporting events is that you can't control who sits around you. Case in point was the guy behind me. Hence forth, he shall be know as Moron #1.

- Moron #1 informed his lady friend that Forsberg must be out because of injury. Pick up a newspaper dude!

- I know they have every right to attend games in Philadelphia, but nothing raises my blood pressure more than seeing people wearing Toronto jerseys. It's like they just walked into your home, kicked dirt on your couch, smacked your dog around and drank your last beer. This also goes for Pittsburgh, New Jersey and Rangers jerseys.

- Two Toronto goals in and I wondered why Michael Leighton was in net instead of Antero Niittymaki. I know Leighton posted two straight wins, but he is what he is, a backup goaltender.

- Goal number three and Leighton is out, Nitty is in.

- The sweetest words to hear when your club is already down 3-0? "Last minute remaining in the first period."

- Moron #1 actually said out loud that Ben Eager is his boy.

- The bartender told me that Forsberg was in pregame skate, but was pulled off the ice. Think about it, has a barkeep ever steered you wrong before?

- I watched Sami Kapanen and Derian Hatcher fall down in succession untouched. Best part, Flyers were shorthanded.

- It was all but official that Forsberg is off to Nashville. Moron #1 doesn't know yet.

- Moron #1 finally caught on. Then he said Nashville might actually have a chance in the playoffs now. Standings, hello!!

- End of period two and a pair of youth teams (one skater and one goaltender) did a shootout. I stayed in my seat to watch this.

- The kid in the white jersey just scored and then proceeded to skate backwards in celebration, pumping his fists and legs. He should win for celebration alone.

- Kid in black jersey countered by doing the Ovechkin/Crosby leg lift thing before his shot. He was stoned though. Sadly, this was the most exciting action I would see all night. Did I mention these kids were 10?

- Kid in white jersey seems rattled, kid in black jersey goes back to basics and wins shootout. Then he hugs his goaltender.

- Moron #1 said the names Pat Falloon, John Vanbiesbrouck and Eric Lindros in the same sentence. I changed seats.

- Maple Leafs went up 4-1 and the masses went for the exits. Good. Less traffic for me. Unfortunately, Moron #1 wasn't one of them.

- Flyers lose. They never announced the Forsberg trade to the crowd unless I missed it. Good thing I've got my bartender.

I'm actually heading to New York to take in Saturday's road game at the Garden. I'm sure I'll have a lot to say about it on Monday.

No, Michael Rushton doesn't have an extra ticket, but you can ask anyway at mrushton@phanaticmag.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I felt like I was at the game! Good work!

Anonymous said...

Moron #1 sounds the type of worthless retard that listens to WIP nonstop, then just regurgitates the verbal diarrhea those shows tend to generate.

Good trade though. We get two solid young players, especially Parent (6' 2" 19 year old first round defenseman), plus the 1st and 3rd round picks? What is this, Christmas? The Flyers are a waste this year anyway in regard to the playoffs. If Forsberg can figure out his ankle issue then he may be worth re-signing in the off season. In which case we just rented him to the Preds for a few months and built for the future at the same time. Not bad for a Rookie GM.