Saturday, June 28, 2014

Flyers round out 2014 draft with picks in 3rd-7th rounds

After selecting a forward in the second round, the Flyers decided to make their defensive pool a little deeper, selecting Mark Friedman with the 86th overall choice.
Friedman just concluded his second season with the Waterloo Black Hawks of the USHL, totaling 10 goals and 30 assists over 51 games last season.



A native of Toronto, the 18-year-old blueliner will suit up for Bowling Green in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association.

"I think I’ve become a more two way player,” Friedman said. "Before, I just relied more on my offense, and now I can really rely on my defense. I hope to bring a two-way game. "I'm a scoring defenseman. I like to join the rush, but I can also play defense so I know I can rely on all aspects of my game."

If that personal account is accurate, Friedman's acumen places him in the mold of former Union defenseman and 2012 Flyers' draft choice Shayne Gostisbehere.

Two rounds later, it was a trip across the Atlantic to select left winger Oskar Lindblom from Brynas of Swedish hockey. The 17-year-old stands 6-foot and weighs 185 pounds.

Ranked 23rd among European skaters by NHL Central Scouting, Lindblom posted 33 points (13G, 20A) in 43 games for the second division team in 2013-14 before going on to score six goals and add an assist in seven playoff games.

Heading further into the continent, Philadelphia's sixth-round selection was center Radeel Faleev from Russia, who scored 25 points (5G, 20A) in 38 games for the Calgary Hitmen. With their final pick, in the seventh round at 198th overall, 19-year-old defenseman Jesper Pettersen was plucked from Linkoping of the Swedish Hockey League. The right-handed shooter also participated for Tre Kronor in the World Junior Championship.


No comments: