Friday, June 20, 2014

Witherspoon returns to action in West Deptford

West Deptford, New Jersey -  Heavyweight contender Chazz Witherspoon will returns to the ring after a two-year absence when he takes part in an eight-round bout at the Riverwinds Community Center in West Deptford, New Jersey on Saturday, July 12.

Witherspoon (30-3, 22 KOs) of nearby Paulsboro established himself as one of the top American heavyweights by winning his first 23 bouts, including triumphs over solid fighters like Michael Alexander,  Talmadge Griffis and Jonathan Haggler.

The St. Joseph's product's first defeat came at the hands of two-time world title challenger Chris Arreola via a controversial disqualification and he also struggled against another two-time world title challenger in veteran Tony Thompson.

Witherspoon did, however, top  Adam Richards in a bout voted Ring Magazine's 2008 Heavyweight Fight of the Year.

He is trying to get back to winning form after a third-round stoppage defeat to then-undefeated prospect Seth Mitchell on April 28, 2012 in a bout where Witherspoon had Mitchell badly hurt in several occasions.

"I feel good and rejuvenated after the layoff," said Witherspoon. "I haven't been out this long because I wanted to.  I had several fights fall through, so I decided to start my own company and do my own shows and I can't wait until July 12 to put on a great event not far from where I live."

Witherspoon's opponent will be named shortly.

No comments: