Friday, December 04, 2009

Former WWE Star Umaga dead at 36

Former World Wrestling Entertainment star Edward "Umaga" Fatu died today at age 36.

Fatu suffered a massive heart attack while watching television at his home in Frisco, Texas. Several hours later his wife found him unresponsive with blood coming out of his nose and he was rushed to a Houston-area hospital.

Fatu was then removed from life support earlier this afternoon after suffering a second heart attack.

Fatu had just returned from Hulk Hogan's "Hulkamania" tour of Australia.

Pro Wrestling Torch is reporting that prescription pills may be the cause. Umaga was released from his WWE contract in June after failing the company's Wellness Policy for a second time and refusing a trip to rehabilitation.

Fatu, along with Bobby Lashley, headlined the biggest money event in pro wrestling history, Wrestlemania 23 from Ford Field in Detroit, although the real drawing cards were their seconds for the match, Vince McMahon and Donald Trump.

Lashley posted a message on his Twitter saying: "Very sad day today. A good friend is gone."

WWE also released a statement: "WWE would like to express its deepest condolences to Mr Fatu's family, friends and fans on his tragic passing.

"Mr Fatu was under contract with WWE at various time periods and most recently performed under the name Umaga. Mr Fatu's contract was terminated on June 11, 2009."

Afa Anoa'i, Fatu's uncle and a WWE Hall of Famer, released a statement on Saturday.

"On behalf of my family, the Anoa'i and Fatu family, we are devastated and shocked by the loss of our Eki (Umaga). Our son, nephew, brother, cousin, husband, father. Our hearts are broken, and words can't express what each of us are feeling. It is so comforting to know how loved Eki
is by his family, peers, friends, and most of all his fans.

"When I received that AM phone call that my nephew was in the hospital, I dug deep and prayed and cried and begged for a miracle. When we lost Eki, I knew it was God's will, and that he is with my sister, his mother, who passed just a year ago.

"We are making our plans now for our farewell to Eki, but I wanted to take this time to thank everyone for all of the thousands of posts, emails, letters, and cards. Although I have not been able to bring myself to answer them personally, your kindness does not go unnoticed. I want to especially thank our WWE family and Stephanie McMahon for everything, and her phone call was very comforting to me in my time of sorrow.

"God bless each and every one of you, and I've said it a hundred times, the best people in the world are our wrestling people. You'll never find a more dedicated group of people.

"Be safe and be healthy, and love one another."

Loads of other wrestling personalities have checked in with their condolences:

Lilian Garcia: "Just heard news about Eddie aka Umaga. So sad. Loved him. Prayers 4 him & family."

TNA President Dixie Carter: "On behalf of everyone at TNA, our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Fatu family."

TNA's Pope D'Angelo Dinero (Formerly WWE' s Elijah Burke): "This is rough, very rough. My heart and prayers goes out to Umaga's wife, his boys, and family."

WWE's Maria: "So sad. Eddie was a friend. He loved wrestling and was a great entertainer. My prayers go out to Eddie's beautiful family. A great loss."

WWE's Chris Jericho: "Eddie Fatu was an awesome guy and one of the brothers. I trusted him and that's a rare thing for me. I am devastated. Safe travels Oos"

WWE's Chavo Guerrero Jr.: "Thank u 4 your prayers 4 Umaga. He will be missed!"

Former WWE star JBL: "Had a ball tag teaming with Eddie Fatu (known as Umaga in WWE) in some of my last house show (non TV) matches, I will miss my friend."

Former WCW President Eric Bischoff: "My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Eddie Fatu (formerly known as Umaga). He was a great performer and a wonderful person."

WWE's JTG: "RIP MY FRIEND"

WWE's Tyler Reks: "My condolences to the Fatu family."

Former WWE star Shannon Moore: "R.I.P Ecki....Mad love and respect.We will miss you and I will cherish the times we had togeather."

TNA's Daniels: "RIP Eddie Fatu. I'm glad I got to know you in the short time you were here."

WWE's Savannah: "I am saddened by the passing today of Eddie Fatu, a.k.a. Umaga. My sincere condolences to his family and friends."

WWE's Maryse: "prayers for UMAGA and all his family!"

Former WWE star Torrie Wilson: "Much love my friend. Much love"

Former WWE star Gangrel: "Have a good journey ecki see you soon you where a ray of light in dark time one love u."

TNA's Matt Morgan: "Me and my family's condolences to Eckie(Umaga)'s family. This just plain out SUCKS! Yet another great guy taken from us too early."

TNA's Jeremy Borash: "RIP Eddie Fatu"

Former WWE personality PAUL HEYMAN: "The world is minus one very cool Samoan tonight. We offer our most profound condolences to the Fatu Family."

WWE's Howard Finkel: "I am saddened by the passing today of Eddie Fatu, a.k.a. Umaga. My sincere condolences to his family and friends."

1 comment:

limo hire said...

When i heard these news i am just shocked ....RIP.