Friday, January 30, 2009

McNabb wants to retire as an Eagle

While in Tampa for the Super Bowl, Donovan McNabb claimed he doesn't want to leave Philadelphia but he does want to renegotiate his contract, which has two years remaining.

"Everyone knows that(he wants to talk about his contract)," McNabb said in an interview on radio row. "You guys know it and you've talked about it. We'll just leave it behind closed doors."

McNabb is signed through 2010 and scheduled to make $9.2 million next season and $10 million in the final year of his deal.

"The contract deals with a lot of different things and I'll kind of leave it at that," McNabb said. "I want things to get taken care of and then I won't have to answer whether I'll be back the next year. I've had to answer 20 weeks this year about coming back and last year as well. It's tiresome, but I'd rather have people asking me every year than be someone else. I want to be in Philly."

Deion Sanders has repeatedly claimed McNabb wants out of Philadelphia, but McNabb denied that.

"Deion is a great guy, but Deion is not speaking for me," McNabb said. "I want to retire as an Eagle. I remember my rookie year or my second year and I was talking to Mayor Street and I said that I wanted to bring a Super Bowl back to Philadelphia.

"I want to go down Broad Street with the parade. The Phillies did it first and I'm happy that I did. But for myself and Brian Dawkins, it's something we have talked about for years and it's something we look forward to bringing it back next year."

No comments: